Monday 27 May 2013

Brief 6 - Basic Layout

So, to get me started I worked on the basic layout for the book which is going to used for every spread in the book. The document and book size that I have decided to produce is 15cm x 15cm - I wanted to avoid a typical A sized book.

I want to have one large image on the right side of the double page spread which fills the page. I will keep a 1cm margin around the edge of the image within the page, and I will crop/edit photos so that they fit within the area that I am intending them to rather than working around the different shaped images.

To accompany this, I will have the project title on the left side of the dps, along with the studio/designer who has produced the project and a link out to their website. I used one of the last things I blogged for this brief to work with to get this right and ready to go.


I think it will be nice to have the alphabet included within the layout, because the concept of the book is A - Z of projects. Considering how I have the layout at the moment I really like how this works and think it is balanced nicely so I don't want the alphabet section to be intrusive to the layout.


Along the top works nicely, although it does effect the hierarchy of the layout. I don't really want that section to be what stands out and just want it to be subtle within the layout. 


I changed the weight of the typeface to being thin, and changed the tint of the black for that particular text box to be 50% grey. I think this works nicely. Also, another little touch that I have decided to include is which of the letters the audience is up to viewing in the book - just gives actually having the alphabet there more of a purpose than just for the sake of it. I decided to have each of the letters for the sections to be bold, and in 100% black to make them stand out.

I am happy with this, and producing the book from now will/should be a simple process using this basic structure to work to. Just hope it doesn't look too boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment