Wednesday 20 February 2013

Lego - Few Ideas

Wanting to get cracking with this so I have some sort of a starting point. Tried drawing but turned out crap so figured I might as well just mock up ideas on illustrator as it will give a better idea.

Had a play around with some ideas.

Made a block of what could represent lego bricks. Thought it might be interesting to have letters missing from the block?


Above is the process I did. Below's how it turned out. Looks alright.


Did the same with the rest of the word 'back' (intentions of spelling out back to basics).


 Looks alright. Fitted them together to see how it works as an actual word.


Needs colour. Lego is colourful.



The colour makes a huge difference to it. Not sure if it is clear enough? Hmm. I'll leave this for now.


Mocked up the way that is suggested to have bricks if using illustrations of them (as suggested in the lego brief pack).

The top of the brick is what makes lego, well lego. Could apply this to the top of a normal letterform.


Looks alright at this scale, but when it's made smaller probably wont work as clearly or be as obvious what it actually is.


Tried them bigger, as though the letter is actually the lego piece. The two on the B looks a bit too small actually. Just the one works better.


Applied this then to the A. The one piece on top of the B was too wide for the top of the A so I altered the size of it so that it would fit, and changed the one on the B too to be the same.

Did it for all the letters then, this time for the word 'basic'.


Having just the one works better on the rest of the letters except the B. I'll try again with the two on top of it see how it then works alongside everything else.


Looks better. Lego is colourful...



Looks alright. I quite like this, but not sure if it is strong enough really.


Had a quick play around with how it could maybe fit together as though the letters are being used like lego. I like the third one but do think its only readable to me because I know what it is supposed to say.

Considered having it so the letters are built on to a bottom piece of lego which holds them together. The logic is there, but the kerning is way too dreadful to even consider using it at all. 


The next obvious thought was why not build the letters out of lego? Decided to give this a go. Each bit is a piece and tried to make it obvious that it is lots of different ones built together by leaving the faint white lines between each piece.


Looks alright actually. Takes way longer than I expected it to though. Wanting to make sure that I stay as true to lego as I can in terms of how they would fit together, can't really have a floating brick or anything. Tried a couple more variations of the B as well.


Moving on to the A. My initial thought was to try and get it to look like an A with the diagonal sides. The first turned out way too wide compared to the B that I have done so made it thinner.


Realised then it doesn't really need diagonal sides so made this one.


Next the S. For the last two letters, they have been 7 noggins on the top of the pieces wide, and 13 pieces high. I used this to form my S.


Seeing how they all work together so far. Works quite well.


The I is a toughie - do I stick to the same dimensions as the other letters of have it just a simple two noggins wide like the widths of the rest of the letters and 13 pieces high but then now have it the same overall width as the others? Decided to try having the tops on as well. Could only make this 6 noggins wide though. 


Decided to have the top and bottom not as wide, and did the C as well.


Now I've got them all done I tried them all together. Works pretty well.


No comments:

Post a Comment