Friday 18 January 2013

Film Festival - What? When? Why? Where?

Before designing for a film festival, I first need to actually figure out all of the details for it.

When?
The film festival could run for:

  • 1 day - lots of films during the course of the day
  • 1 week - one or two films a night
  • 2 weeks - one film a night
  • 1 month - one film a night
  • 1 month - weekday nights
  • one night a week for X amount of weeks
  • two nights a week for X amount of weeks
  • weekends for X amount of weeks
  • specific date every month

What?
There's all sorts of options I could go for here:
  • classic films - the ones everyone 'must' have seen
  • specific genre of films - horror/comedy/romantic/etc
  • focus on one actor/actress - Julia Roberts/Jim Carey/etc
  • a certain series of films - Harry Potter/Rocky/etc
  • all by a certain producer
  • voted for films leading up to the date

Why?
Depending on the 'what' aspect I go for, there's a number of reasons for the why:
  • it's winter - something to do instead of being stuck in every night
  • love/big fan of the actor/genre/etc 
  • 'a night in with...'
  • 'you haven't seen anything until you've seen...'
  • 'have your night in... out'
  • date night
  • a reason to go out
  • spend that much needed quality time together

Where?
I guess this is the big question for this brief because it could determine what sort of promotional stuff I would produce:
  • Hyde Park Picture House - small, independent cinema, for a smaller audience so the focus would be on the population of Leeds/surrounding areas
  • Vue - Bigger, cross country cinemas so would reach out to a much wider audience. They could have a certain screen or certain times or what ever for the festival depending on the 'when' aspect
  • Cineworld - Same as above really

Just had a quick look on the website for Vue, and they hold 'special events'. The film festival could class as a special event. (link - http://www.myvue.com/)


They really are all over the country too.


Had a look on Cineworld website too, there isn't a special offers section with them though. They have the whole iMax thing going on, something that I didn't spot whilst on Vue (not entirely sure if they have it too or not). In terms of which one of these two I think would be most suited I would say Vue. Hmm. (link - http://www.cineworld.co.uk/).

Also had a look on Hyde Park Picture House website too. They hold events. (link - http://www.hydeparkpicturehouse.co.uk/).


The film listings on this aren't the latest or anything, they're more independent. I think for my film festival to suit being held here I would need to use more obscure films or quirky ones. So unless I choose films like that, I don't think what's in mind mind would suit there. 


I have plenty of options to choose from, once these are decided then I can et my brief wrote up. Might look into some existing design examples before I start.



No comments:

Post a Comment