Friday 18 January 2013

Penguin Books Competition?

With me grouping together the pitch briefs, I need to have more briefs to consider doing for my FMP. During the last module I considered having a go at the Penguin Books competition but chose a different one instead, but I want to at least look into and consider it this time.

When I've looked, not sure but I think it's a different one to the one I saw before, but the one now is to redesign the cover for The Big Sleep.


Obviously, I want to push the brief to be a lot more substantial. The initial thought is:
  • paperback cover
  • hardback cover
  • promotional material

I think for a FMP brief it needs to be a bit more than that, especially if I want to make it one of my 5 main ones. 

Could do a collection?

I found the 2006 list of every Penguin book published (didn't realise there would be so many!). From the list I gathered 4 different categories that they fell under:
  • fiction
  • non fiction
  • play
  • poetry
I could choose X amount from each to make into a collection? Or do some sort of special packaging for one from each?

On the website there's a browse section, and under it there's one for books written by Charles Dickens?


In this section there's 15 different books by him. When reaching this point I thought it would be a great path to take the brief, to redesign the book covers by Dickens, but looking at these they already have covers that work as a set so seems a bit pointless to do?

Moving on...

Also down the left hand side of the website is a link for the Top 10 Classics. Hmm... There's lists for:
  • adventures
  • wintery reads
  • dickens
  • beats
  • erotic
  • anti-term
  • summer
  • departures
  • animals
  • journeys
  • spring
  • beautiful



I could redesign the covers for one of the top ten lists? Maybe propose that it would be done for each list? Make them into:

  • collectors editions?
  • limited edition?
  • gift sets?

I think I am getting a bit lost in the web of this, so I've decided to take a quick step back, have a quick search on behance for existing examples of what people have come up with and go from there.

The website that I used for this post is http://www.penguinclassics.co.uk/ (bibliography shiz init).

No comments:

Post a Comment