Tuesday 5 March 2013

Brief 4 - Book Size 2

Another idea for a possible layout is to literally turn what I ended up with in the last post but have it so that it would work horizontally instead. Decided to have a quick try on what I have to see if it would work.


I need to have the letterform the right way round I think to get the right idea.



Fills more of the area of the layout having the letterforms this way round. Going to have a quick doodle to see how it feels to use it like this.


It was fine using it for me as I am right handed, but wondered what it would be like to use it if I was left handed so gave it a quick go and it felt so awkward. Mainly because the folded back pages just seemed to be in the way a bit and then I had to try and hold them back with my right hand without covering the area to doodle on. Not sure if it would be better for someone who is actually left handed. Wouldn't have had this problem with having the book portrait as either side of the letterform is free with the binding being across the top. 

Definitely something to think about. I was going to suggest to myself to maybe try having the pages not as wide now, so not having the shorter length at 80mm with me not having the letterform needing to fit exactly into it. I could possibly take off up to 20mm - but after discovering this I will give it a miss. 

An alternative to do if I do want to do it horizontally bound is either have the longer length, or have a 'right handed' and 'left handed' version. But then I think that is getting a bit too complicated for such a simple book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment