Tuesday 5 March 2013

Brief 4 - Book Size 3

Thinking about the size of the book and looking at what I have, I've decided to try out having the book more horizontal but still bound from the top rather than the side. So basically what I have done is I took out the page divider from what I used for the first ones I did.


I can make the margins round the edges of the pages larger by basically having the letter areas touching, like this.


None of the letters will end up touching as the W is the only one that goes to the very corners, and this sits fine against the X.


Plenty of white space surrounding the letters and they sit on the page better than before. Printed this out to mock up and see how it works.


Works alright, feels a lot more like a proper book now rather than like a small pocket book. Had a quick doodle to see how it feels actually using it.


Plenty of space and what not. Feels more like a notebook really, which is good as people doodle a lot in note books. Had the thought to also try this landscape, so shifted the clips round that are holding the mock up together. Then had a quick doodle again.


Again with the right handed thing. BUT, it must work for leftys anyway because this is more like a notebook? I will have to ask someone I know who's left handed to give them a go and give me their opinion.

There's a lot of white space above the letterforms - could try reducing this? Decided to drop this from being 120mm to 100mm, then mocked this up as well.



In terms of opening the book it feels a lot tighter and like there's less room. The actual areas of the letterforms to doodle on are still fully on show though with some white space. Hmm. This might work better being portrait rather than landscape? Literally just turned it round and tried it out like this.


Again, I think the binding would have a lot of influence to how this would work. it was harder to hold the pages back while I doodles in it, but when I moved the clips to be as much on the edge of the book as I could get them it worked a little easier (which is when I took the photos above). Obviously the letterforms would need to be rotated, which will take some to be a lot closer to the spine of the book. Also, this would create a lot more white space between the letterforms - may need reducing? 

I'll try it as it is first. Used the red bounding box for the letterform area to make sure I get them lined up properly and what not.


Leaves plenty of white space around the letterforms, but yeah would probably work reducing the length a bit as well.


Looking at the amount of white space, it would probably fit three letterforms within that area. Might as well give it a try.


Pretty tight and wouldn't leave much white space though.


Printed it out anyway to see how it would work in context.


It does look a lot tighter than having the two letterforms. Decided to have a doodle on letterforms on the ones with two and the ones with three to see if it really makes a difference because after all it is still doodling within the same sort of surface area.


Thinking about it as I said about with it being just doodling in the same sort of area, it doesn't actually really make a difference at all whether there's two or three. Maybe I was more aware there was others around on the three one than the two but overall pretty much the same. In terms from an aesthetic point of view though, the letterforms do sit a lot more comfortably on the page where there's just two with there being a nice amount of white space around them. 

Hmm. Think I need to get a lefty to try them out before making any definite decisions on how to go forward with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment